Sweet rich doughs are one of the category of breads we teach for the baking class, and therefore I needed to practice this category before school starts. We usually make cinnamon rolls for this, but I don’t like cinnamon rolls. So instead of that, I found this great recipe which got translated as braid cheese and blueberry. Personally, I think Bread braid with blueberry and cheese is a more suitable description, but its translated from Polish so I’m not going to complain. The translation was somewhat inconsistent, however. For instance, the ingredients says “cream 30%-36%” but the instructions call it “sour cream.” Anyhow, I did a few of my own interpretations of the translation, and did some substitutions due to necessity. I think the bread turned out great, and everyone loved it. Also, the bread turned out to be 2 or 3 times the size of what I had originally intended. Then again, I should have noticed that this was a large loaf by the 4 cups of flour. Silly me.
For the bread:
- 8g Yeast
- 200g Greek Yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 1/2 cups sugar
- 120g butter (I used 1 stick, 7g shy of that)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 beaten egg for egg wash
For the cheese filling:
- 150g creamcheese
- 100g Greek yogurt
- 4 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1pint of blueberries
- Proof yeast by using minimal amounts of hot water (not more than 32C) and dissolve the yeast pellets into that. Let it sit and become foamy. A thick paste is fine.
- Mix the dry ingredients together and set aside. Mix the Greek yogurt with a little water to make it less thick. I would say I used about 4 to 6 tbsp of water. Add the eggs and melted butter and mix until smooth.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients together, and then the yeast paste. Mix to combine. Let it rise for 40 -50 minutes, about.
- To make the cheese filling, mix all ingredients together until smooth except for the blueberries.
- Roll out the dough into a big rectangle, and visually divide into thirds. For the left and right thirds, cut into horizontal strips, about 2-3cm thick.
- Lay your cheese filling on top of the center uncut third, and place blue berries on top.
- Fold over the left and right strips successively to form a braid. Let proof for 30 minutes
- Apply egg wash.
- Bake at a 350F oven for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and delicious.
Also, I should probably not say this, but doesn’t it kind of look like a cocoon with some sort of bug breaking out of it… I hope that won’t stop you from trying this recipe!