Hello all! =) As the days get hotter, I start making more salads and cold food items. Today I wanted to share this spicy shrimp green apple salad from Serious Eats. I made a few modifications to it, but overall its mostly the same. Its a very refreshing recipe, and I can see myself making more of this as summer progresses
What I actually made:
For poaching the shrimp:
- 1 1/2 pounds large or jumbo shrimp (21-25 count), peeled and deveined
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons salt
For the salad itself:
- Poached shrimp
- 2 large on-the-vine tomatoes
- 2 large shallots
- 2 large Granny Smith apples
- Chili powder
- juice of 1 lime (+ zest)
- 3tbsp Fish sauce
- ~10 almonds, unroasted and unsalted
- Cilantro, 3 stems
- Poach the shrimp with water and salt at 160F-180F. Put into a large bowl
- Cut tomatoes into 1/2 inch wedges. Put on top of the shrimp
- Peel the shallots (or red onion) and slice them lengthwise very thinly and add them to the shrimp bowl.
- Cut the apples into 1/8inch matchsticks and add to the shrimp bowl.
- Season with chili powder, juice, and fish sauce. The amounts provided is what I used, but if you like your salad saltier, add more fish sauce etc. Use your own judgement. Toss to coat.
- Add the almonds and cilantro. Toss (optional). Serve.